Senior Systems Engineer
DAS is looking to hire a full-time Senior Systems Engineer for a contract with the Department of Office of the Secretary of Defense – Research and Engineering. This position receives a competitive salary, depending on experience, and excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, a flexible spending account (FSA), short- and long-term disability, a 401(k) plan, and more if this sounds like the right program management opportunity for you, apply today!
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you systems engineer to serve as a technical SME supporting the Deputy Director for Engineering Policy and Systems (EP&S). You will support the development of DoD policies and guidance to incorporate DoD-recognized best practices in systems engineering. Responsibilities will include reviewing and assessing the DoDI 5000.02, “Operation of the Adaptive Acquisition Framework” (AAF), which supports delivering effective, suitable, survivable, sustainable, and affordable solutions. You will also ensure effective, periodic updates to the systems engineering guidance, such as the Engineering of Defense Systems Guidebooks and Systems Engineering Guidebook, and contribute to other Program Guidebooks, as necessary, to ensure appropriate Engineering guidance is addressed across the lifecycle. In addition, you will be expected to support the Deputy Director by providing technical and management input to data calls, briefings, articles, and contribute knowledge in key DoD SE focus areas such as Prototyping and Experimentation, Mission Engineering, Digital Engineering, and Engineering Workforce Development.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or related field
- Current, active Secret clearance required
- 5 - 15 years of related experience in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Operational Research, or related field
- At least 5 years of engineering experience working in the defense acquisition community (industry, military, Government civilian, or contract support)
- 1 or more years of hands-on experience with senior customer relationship management
- “Systems Thinking” skills as applied to analysis and development of both complex technical solutions and long-term guidance
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, prioritization, and organizational skills; proven ability to assess, select, and utilize a variety of methods and tools; strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with DoDI 5000.02 and the DoD Acquisition Process
- Strong emotional intelligence and ability to think and adapt quickly to changing requirements, stakeholders, and environment and take action
- Strong consultant skills with a demonstrated understanding of requirements gathering and deduction of viable courses of action
- Ability to transform ideas into practical implementation
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and concise manner
- Experience in planning and coordination of working group meetings with diverse participants
- Experience in preparing, coordinating, and presenting briefings
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline or related field
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically/conceptually in the context of DoD acquisition, including familiarity with DoD management and oversight systems and databases
- Demonstrated experience communicating with senior management/leadership, including presenting analytical results/recommendations in a dynamic, high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated experience developing policies, guidance, and standardization documents related to acquisition engineering or related technical fields
- Knowledge of OSD inter-office coordination and communication protocols
- Experience with DoDI 5000.02 and other DoD Component policies related to the defense acquisition system
- Experience with Defense Acquisition Guidance, Systems Engineering Standards such as ISO/IEC/IEEE 15288 and 24748 series
- Demonstrated experience in planning, briefing, and coordinating senior-level technical reviews, panels, or similar meetings with diverse participants
- INCOSE or PMP Certification is a plus
READY TO JOIN OUR TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this engaging program management position with the Department of Office of the Secretary of Defense – Research and Engineering, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
Location: Pentagon, Washington, DC